Or: Super Yuri Brothers!
Last time, on this series of blogs, I watched the first episode of Yuri on Ice!!!, and was kind of impressed. Though, it proves I know absolutely nothing about competitive skating! I also met
literally me our main character, Yuri, who lost on the first episode! And then he was greeted by his new Coach, Victor, who A. is a famous skater, and B. has a trillion fangirls (which is expected for this kind of show). IN A HOT SPRING. I also met another Yuri, who I’m calling Gladion for convenience, because other Yuri looks like him.
- Is it just me, or did the Opening change? Animation-wise, anyway.
- A rumor that Victor’s Yuri’s coach? Silly Minako, he’s already his coach!
- Aw, Victor’s using the dog as his stuffed animal… While sleeping on the Inn floor. You can’t just sleep anywhere, silly!
Meanwhile, in MUZZAH RUSSIA….
- Gladion found out Victor went to Japan to coach the other Yuri! It’s super effective! Gladion’s mad!
- An old man’s mad!
- Unamused skater lady, can she have more screentime?
- And now’s Gladion’s on his mad-dash to Japan. Have fun, kid.
Back to Japanland…
- Victor likes Pork Cutlets. So much so he shouts some Russian word I don’t know out loud.
- I’m actually surprised he sometimes speaks English. He’s Russian, so I expected him to speak Russian more often. Now I’m wondering if that’s a required language in Russia…
- Wow, Victor, that’s a lot of boxes.
- Geez, Victor, you really like being quite close to your students, eh? And by that, I mean, you clearly have an… Affection, to Yuri.
- “Trust in our relationship”… I know exactly what you mean, sir!
- And Yuri reacts just the way I would!
- “What? Why are you running away?” Oh come on, everyone could see the subtext in that scene, Victor!
- Haha! Embarrassed to admit you’re a fan of Victor, huh, Yuri?
- Is ballet a necessity in Ice Skating? I can see why, I’m just wondering.
- Victor is such a goofball. I’m actually surprised he’s like this, since I was expecting a more mentor-comically serious character.
- “Really? Ninja?” Victor’s voice actor did a good job on that line. He really sounded English there for a second!
- Lesson Learned: Become famous, set all accounts to “Private”.
- Have fun with all the new guests, guys!
- And here’s our friend, Gladion. He likes Tigers.
- Well, he’still mad.
- And then he sees Victor. Have fun, kiddo.
- Rivalry! Tension! 15-year old angry kid berating 23-year old man! ANIME OF THE YEAR.
- Isn’t Gladion/the other Yuri kind of overreacting to Victor coaching someone else? I mean, I don’t blame him, since Gladion’s been coached by him for quite a while now.
- A skating competition! Why not?
- Well… Eros and Agape, eh? An interesting theme choice of “Unconditional love”.
- “I don’t like this music.” “Okay. Skate to this piece anyway!”- Victor’s logic.
- Well, kiddos, The World Ends with You. Have fun.
This was a very funny episode. Though I’m not too hyped up yet, I certainly like these characters so far. Victor’s personality was certainly unexpected, especially to me. After all, I really was expecting him to be cold, distant, and generally more mentor-like, rather than a total goofball. Overall, I’m actually kind of excited for the next episode. See you guys then!